Applications are open during the following time frames:
|Fall Internship:||May 15 – August 15|
|Spring Internship:||October 1 – December 15|
March 1 – March 27
***Due to overwhelming interest, we are closing applications for Summer 2015 on March 27, 2015.
To apply: Please send your resume and brief cover letter that includes your dates of availability to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is an ideal internship for someone who would like a great deal of responsibility and variety in the work they would do during their internship.
Intern responsibilities include:
- Selecting students and speakers for our political training programs (learn more about them here)
- Helping staff organize logistics for various events, including our annual awards gala
- Drafting business communication for Running Start staff
- Composing profiles of “young women to watch” around the United States
- Newsletters, emails to our members, and press releases
- Women in politics around the world
- Young women candidates running for Congress
- Why so few young women are running
- Adding content to site
- Monitoring our Facebook page
- Monitoring our Twitter feed
- Helping spread Running Start programs to education institutions around the country
- Maintaining our information data base
This job is ideal for someone interested in learning about nonprofit management. Our interns get a well-rounded experience and are taught the ins and outs of Washington and advocacy.
Prior experience in politics is not required, but strong writing, communication, and organization skills are a must. A healthy sense of humor is also encouraged.
What past interns have to say:
“As Running Start’s intern, I have made so many connections with organizations and people all over DC. This job, by far, has been the highlight of my Washington Semester—I have learned hands-on about the importance of women in politics. I am confident that I will come back to Washington after college, and I will follow-through with this mission that Running Start started, and will, achieve.” — Katelyn Shorey, Spring 2008 Intern/2009 Star Fellowship Graduate
“When I decided to intern at Running Start this summer, I did so with the hopes of gaining professional work experience and exposure to the non-profit sector. However, my internship at Running Start has provided me both with these experiences, and also with so much more. Through my work at Running Start, I have learned, first hand, the value not only of being a strong female leader myself, but also of being a part of a larger network of empowered women. The professional and personal skills that I have gained at Running Start are relevant within and beyond the realm of politics, and I am excited to stay connected to Running Start and their mission long after this summer ends.”– Liana Eisman, Summer 2012
Running Start is a new organization. Consequently, we constantly have opportunities to volunteer for Running Start. Volunteer opportunities exist all year round and can be inquired about by emailing email@example.com.